Portland

What is it, Portland? Fred Allen was a comedian and a wit...Benny is welcome here if he brings his writers...

Moderator: P. Nussbaum

Ponset

Portland

Post by Ponset »

A couple of questions.

After radio did she do any tv or did she retire?

Did Fred and Portland have any children?

Thanks.
Marie Lamb

RE: Portland

Post by Marie Lamb »

As far as I know, Portland did not do TV, at least not on any regular
basis.

No, Fred Allen and Portland Hoffa had no children.

Marie Lamb
Richard Scheckman

Post by Richard Scheckman »

I knew Portland's sister, Lebanon, years ago when she was a regular attendee at film screenings at The Museum Of Modern Art in New York. At the time, early seventies, she told me that Portland was very happily remarried and retired from show business.
All of Portland's brothers and sisters were named after cities in the United States. Lebanon is a city in Pennsylvania.
Dave Hunter

Post by Dave Hunter »

Here's some trivia - the actor James Mason and his wife Pamela named their daughter Portland after Portland Hoffa. Portland Mason was in a half dozen films in the late 50's early 60's.
M. Bohn

Post by M. Bohn »

As far as I know, after Fred retired, so did Portland. I believe she made some appearances on the radio show "The Big show" in the early 50's. But after that she never appeared on radio or TV.
She later married again (I believe her second husband's last name was Rines, but I would have to look that up). Portland died on Christmas Day 1990 in Los Angeles. I believe her death record listed her year of birth as 1905, which would have made her 85.
She and Fred never had any children.
M.Bohn

Post by M.Bohn »

I'm posting this for the author--you can post directly using the box "Reply to this Message" below the message itself and clicking "Post." If the author needs help, please feel free to email me at the administrator's email address. Thanks for your interest in the Fred Allen Phorum.

As far as I know, after Fred retired, so did Portland. I believe she made
some appearances on the radio show "The Big show" in the early 50's. But
after that she never appeared on radio or TV.
She later married again (I believe her second husband's last name was Rines,
but I would have to look that up). Portland died on Christmas Day 1990 in
Los Angeles. I believe her death record listed her year of birth as 1905,
which would have made her 85.
She and Fred never had any children.
wcw57

Post by wcw57 »

and she made cement, too...

that's a joke, son
Paul

Re: RE: Portland

Post by Paul »

Richard Scheckman wrote:I knew Portland's sister, Lebanon, years ago when she was a regular attendee at film screenings at The Museum Of Modern Art in New York. At the time, early seventies, she told me that Portland was very happily remarried and retired from show business.
All of Portland's brothers and sisters were named after cities in the United States. Lebanon is a city in Pennsylvania.

I see she was born in Portland, Oregon. And Lebanon, Oregon is 82 miles from there.
Harlow Wilcox

Post by Harlow Wilcox »

For the last few weeks I have been revisiting Fred's show. I listen to one or two episodes each morning on my daily three mile walk. I forgot how hilarious this show is. :lol: