"I'm thinking it over"

It's the Jack Benny Forum! Join Jack, Dennis, Don, Mary, Rochester, and the rest of the gang!
frontrowkid

"I'm thinking it over"

Post by frontrowkid »

This one line capper of a Jack Benny skit has been the source of more urban legends as being the biggest laugh Benny ever got. The line came about during the scriptwriting bull session in which two of the writers were tossing lines back and forth as they prepared the script. One of the writers was lounging on the office couch as the other paced nervously across the floor. The pacer came to the part where the hold-up man tells Jack Benny, "your money or your life." The writer on the couch didn't respond right away so his partner repeated the line expecting a comeback. The response came back as "I'm thinking it over." Whether Jack was in the room at the time or not is unknown, but he reportedly appreciated the line with one of his belly laughs. In the skit, the hold-up man asks the question with a pause. The audience laughs in anticipation. When the request is again made, Benny answers in that petulant tone of his, "I'm thinking it over." While the audience did laugh at the line, it was not as big a laugh as what you might imagine judging by the newspaper columnists reports of the program. Benny himself said that while it was funny, it was not as funny as some of his unprepared comments or situations where he or one of his cast might flub a line. It became the most quoted line from the Jack Benny program.