Jack Benny stopped for littering

It's the Jack Benny Forum! Join Jack, Dennis, Don, Mary, Rochester, and the rest of the gang!
frontrowkid

Jack Benny stopped for littering

Post by frontrowkid »

Just ran across this anecdote on Jack Benny that he told when he appeared on Johnny Carson's show in 1974. He was holding a cigar and Carson asked him why. He explained that he wanted to remind himself to tell a story that he had forgotten on his last guest appearance. He said that he didn't smoke a cigar very often and when he did, he only took a few puffs before throwing it away. He said he was driving through Coldwater Canyon, which had a no smoking violation due to forest fires. He had just discarded the cigar when a highway patrolman stopped him. Although the cop recognized him, he warned that he was in violation of the ordinance. Benny said that he didn't throw it away, but that it had slipped out of his fingers as he was driving with his arm out the window. The cop disputed this, but Benny said "If you will drive me back to the spot where the cigar fell, I will show you what I mean." They drove back to the spot and sure enough, there was the cigar lying on the road. Benny picked up the cigar and showed the officer that it had been hardly smoked. Then he said "Now do you suppose a cheap pennypincher SOB would throw away a perfectly good cigar." The cop laughed and let him off without a ticket.