KMOX/1970's Nostalgia Boom

This is the place to talk about general topics dealing with Old-Time Radio...anything that doesn't fit one of the show forums can go here!
Bob934

KMOX/1970's Nostalgia Boom

Post by Bob934 »

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate post or not, if not, I apologize.

My first exposure of any length to OTR was back in October 1978. It was either between 7 and 7:30 pm or 8 and 8:30 pm here in Middle GA when my Mom decided she wanted to listen to a local FM radio station. Well, she couldn't tune the station in because the radio had been switched from FM to AM. Unfortunately, the band selector switch was on the side of the radio and she was totally unaware she was on the wrong band, so she kept trying to get her station. What she got instead was KMOX in St. Louis, which was broadcasting the last part of a Jack Benny program. Of course, she stopped to listen because it brought back lots of memories. She, my Dad, my grandmother and I wound up listening to the rest of the program. And we listened to the one that followed, which I believe may have been Our Miss Brooks. Anyway, the older folks wanted to watch tv after that, so I went to my room and tuned my radio to KMOX and was given my first exposure to Burns and Allen. Gracie's zany comedy hooked me on OTR forever. My Mom came back to check on me, I was laughing so hard and so loud. Towards the end of the program block, they played Suspense. I can't remember the episode, but it was good enough to keep my interest.

What I would like to know is how long did KMOX broadcast old time radio shows? And what times? For some reason, I want to make the time of my Mother's discovery closer to 7 pm, but I'm not sure. I do know that the Sundays that I was able to listen, they always started out with Jack Benny, broadcast 3 or 4 more comedies, then Suspense and finished up with the CBS Radio Mystery Theatre.

If I remember correctly, KMOX changed format around the end of the year to all sports, so that was the end of that.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob