This is the place to talk about general topics dealing with Old-Time Radio...anything that doesn't fit one of the show forums can go here!
BFran1

Post by BFran1 »

Hello, everyone! My name is Brian and I'm new to the forum.
Due to my unwavering attitude toward analog sound, I was given a semi-professional 1/4" reel-to-reel recorder/player for father's day and announced it on FaceBook (I know... weird cross between old and new). Long story short: A friend noticed and mentioned to some friends of hers and voila! I'm now "inheriting" a collection of OTR reels from "one of the major US collectors of OTR" who died this past March. Supposedly, when trying to unload the collection, one collector "on the east coast" said that some of the shows are "rare". No-one, however, seems willing to have the collection moved. I also suspect the format may be intimidating some.
While my lady friend and I are fans, we could not be categorized as "collectors", by any stretch. I feel, though, that I need to be true to the effort and (now) legacy of this collector. Since I'm new to this, what should I be looking for or at, and how would you suggest I begin cataloging / categorizing them? I have the ability to transfer the recordings to digital media but, at this point I don't even know how much I'm dealing with. I'll be picking up the collection on 7/11/16.
Thanks for any input.