just finished listening to our miss brooks

Join Conny Brooks, Principal Conklin, Walter Denton, and all the gang for laughs with Our Miss Brooks!

Moderator: Paul

deco

just finished listening to our miss brooks

Post by deco »

Finished the series of our miss brooks and have these observations . . .

1. The writing and comedy got crisper as the series went on. 1955 shows were some of the best writing for radio and TV. Most shows at the end of their run are stale and are ready to be retired.

2. How much steve urkel resembled walter denton. Walter could be the first modern day nerd. It was fun to hear Richard Crenna losing the voice of Walter at the end.

3. The show never really re-invented itself. You had the same basic themes, Walter eating and taking Miss Brooks to school, Boyton not getting the come-ons by Connie, and Mr. Conklin irritated by her.

4. It was fun to see Gale Gordon use the same style of Conklin in the Lucy Shows of 60's. He was a great talent.

5. And it never surprises me how much TV in 70's-90's took material from old radio shows.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Good post.

One thing about the show I wish they did, was do some things outside of the schoolgrounds, or Miss Brooks house, or Conklins house. Every situation it seemed took place either at one of those locations. Maybe a school fieldtrip, or an episode of Miss Brooks and Mr Boyton at the zoo (instead of talking about going or been there). One of my fav episodes is "Weekend At Crystal Lake". Hilarious. Wish they did more shows like that with the cast.