Gildy's blade and Look Magazine

No matter which of the two Gildersleeves is your favorite, you can talk about him here!
deco

Gildy's blade and Look Magazine

Post by deco »

Does anyone have a picture of Gildy's blade that was a promotional giveway in 1950?

And can anyone steer me to the pictures in Look Magazine on Margie's Wedding?
ThatOldGoat

Post by ThatOldGoat »

Marjorie's wedding photos can be found here

http://wayback.net/gildy/wedalb/
jmgpcent

Look magazine photos

Post by jmgpcent »

I was lucky enough to buy the actual Look magazine with the article and accompanying photos of Marjorie's wedding. (It seems really corny to write about it like this, and leaves me wondering - do I need to get a life or what!?)
In any case, if anyone is interested, I would probably scan the article and actual size photos to pdf and email them. Reply on this forum, then we can exchange email addresses privately so we don't all get bombarded with junk.

I've looked for years at garage sales and on E-lectronic auction Bay sites, and am hoping to run into one of Gildy's Blades sometime.

Lest we forget- live everyday, and never waste a chance to make a difference.

Matt
Paul

Re: Look magazine photos

Post by Paul »

jmgpcent wrote:I was lucky enough to buy the actual Look magazine with the article and accompanying photos of Marjorie's wedding. (It seems really corny to write about it like this, and leaves me wondering - do I need to get a life or what!?)
In any case, if anyone is interested, I would probably scan the article and actual size photos to pdf and email them. Reply on this forum, then we can exchange email addresses privately so we don't all get bombarded with junk.

I've looked for years at garage sales and on E-lectronic auction Bay sites, and am hoping to run into one of Gildy's Blades sometime.

Matt
Yes Matt. Would love to see the article, sent you a message. Thanxs.
Buckshot McGee

Re: Look magazine photos

Post by Buckshot McGee »

jmgpcent wrote:I was lucky enough to buy the actual Look magazine with the article and accompanying photos of Marjorie's wedding. (It seems really corny to write about it like this, and leaves me wondering - do I need to get a life or what!?)

Matt
I'd also enjoy seeing that artical. I'll PM you my email addy. Thank you.
"Tain't funny, McGee!"
KayEn78

Post by KayEn78 »

I would love to see that article! The pictures were so cute! I'm still on the fourth season of Gildy (radio) right now. I've got a long way to go before Majorie gets married! I'm still on the war years... But that article would be a lovely read! :) I'll send a PM.

-Kristi
Wayback Mike

Post by Wayback Mike »

Here's a link to a picture of Gildy's blade:

http://wayback.net/GildysBlade.jpg

That's a direct link as I don't actually have the pic associated with any particular page on the site (yet).

I think the picture is good enough that you can see that the lower edge is serrated. The upper edge is beveled and "Gildy's Blade" is sort of etched into the stainless steel. When I run my finger over the etched part it doesn't feel etched, though. It feels smooth. Even though they sold these for a quarter (if I remember correctly) it is a pretty decent quality knife for what it is.

So, there you go.

Mike
deco

Post by deco »

Thanks, it was very helpful, I think the cost was fifty cents and looking at the knife and knowing that large candy bars went for a nickel, it would have cost 10 large candy bars, or today about 10 dollars. So, it wasn't cheap.

At least, I got to see one.
KayEn78

Post by KayEn78 »

Wow! Did you actually use Gildy's Blade? Did you buy it back then when the show was still on the air and the announcer told you to go out and get one? :) I'm glad I got to see that. I once typed in "Gildy's Blade" in an $%@! search and nothing came up.

-Kristi
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

I've got a Gildy's Blade! Bought it on that well-known Internet auction site, and it arrived today. The blade, the Name the Song record and a photo of Hal Peary with autograph attached are my favorite pieces of Gildyana. :wink: