LEILA HEARS A BURGLAR (1945-03-18) episode found

No matter which of the two Gildersleeves is your favorite, you can talk about him here!
Paul

LEILA HEARS A BURGLAR (1945-03-18) episode found

Post by Paul »

45-03-18 LEILA HEARS A BURGLAR (AFRS) episode can now be compared to the re-creation episode. Found this by accident doing a web search. Enjoy.

You have to go to the main download page and find the mp3 link. (tried posting it here, but link too large).

Look for...
Great Gildersleeve 45-03-18 (161) Leila Hears A Burglar AFRS#82.mp3
http://otrrlibrary.org/OTRRLib/Library% ... eve,%20The
Last edited by Paul on Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Great find! Thanks. In his book "Tuning in The Great Gildersleeve," Clair Schulz writes that of all the shows for which no recording exists, "this one seems to be the greatest loss because the script abounds in comical scenes." And now we know there is a recording to enjoy.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Cobra wrote:Great find! Thanks. In his book "Tuning in The Great Gildersleeve," Clair Schulz writes that of all the shows for which no recording exists, "this one seems to be the greatest loss because the script abounds in comical scenes." And now we know there is a recording to enjoy.
Yes it is from AFRS (Armed Forces Radio). So it might mean there are prob other shows out there from AFRS thought to be lost. And I thought the re-creation episode did a pretty good job in comparison. Fun to listen to the 2 versions.
CharlieSummers
Site Admin

Re: LEILA HEARS A BURGLAR (1945-03-18) episode found

Post by CharlieSummers »

Paul wrote:(Mods, I posted this earlier, but the page is blank and won't load. Also did a message in the re-creation post on pg 4, and that too is now blank.)
I see that. Not sure why it happened...looks like there's a problem with the database. I'll dig around tomorrow in the bowels of the forum and see if I can figure out why things went awry.
Charlie Summers
The comments here are my personal opinion, and not the official opinion of The Nostalgia Pages
CharlieSummers
Site Admin

Post by CharlieSummers »

Ok, I now know exactly why it happened - and thank Mike Wheeler for nudging me off my distractions to track it down. The "(" and ")" characters in the URIs are being interpreted by the forum software as something different than simple text. While admittedly those character are technically permitted in an URI, they (and spaces for that matter) are conventionally avoided to eliminate exactly this kind of issue. Browsers can generally work around odd-ball characters, but forum software pre-processes the data and stumbles.

I've re-written the URI to use the hexadecimal equivalents of the parenthesis, and all is right with the world. Until the next time someone posts a direct link to one of the horribly-named OTRR files (a filename should never be treated as a database record, IMHO - that's why we have ID3 tags), when it'll likely happen again.
Charlie Summers
The comments here are my personal opinion, and not the official opinion of The Nostalgia Pages